I’m all about fast and easy meals on weekdays. One’s that won’t have me slaving away in the kitchen for hours. Tostadas de tinga are perfect for those days. Tinga is a Mexican dish, originated from the state of Puebla, consisting of shredded meat (typically chicken) that has been simmered in a smoky sauce and is served over a tostada. They’re so easy to make and have become almost a weekly meal in our home.
- 1.5 lbs of chicken (about 3 breasts)
- 4-6 Roma tomatoes
- Canned chile chipotles & some of the sauce (to taste)
- 1.5 onions (1 diced and 1/2 of another onion just left intact)
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Can refried pinto beans
- Package of Tostadas ( I prefer the brand El Milagro that can be found in any Mexican grocery store or Kroger)
- Sour cream
- Crumbled Queso Fresco or Feta
- Lettuce chopped into strips
- Boil chicken in salt water. Then once cool enough to handle shred.
- Boil the tomatoes in a saucepan with enough water to cover them.
- Once boiled put in a blender with the half of onion, garlic clove, salt, and canned chipotles and some of the chipotle sauce from the can. The more chipotles you add the spicier it’ll be. So if spicy food is not your favorite then add about 2 chiles. I usually add 5-6 and it does nothing for me, but my poor Salvadoran husband is usually dying from the spiciness. So add at your own taste.
- Add some of the water in which you boiled the tomatoes to the mix in the blender. The more water the runnier the sauce will be. I like it a little runny so I add enough to cover about 3/4 of the ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- In a saucepan heat some olive oil and sautee the 1 diced onion.
- Once onion is translucent stir in the shredded chicken.
- Add the chipotle and tomato sauce to the chicken and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Heat refried beans in a saucepan.
- Spread some refried beans over the tostada then add some of the tinga on top.
- Top it off with any topping you like.
These are so easy to make and super delicious. Enjoy!